It’s nearly October, and that means Thanksgiving!
No doubt Thanksgiving will look quite different this year for all of us, but we still have lots to be thankful for, like family, friends, and good food.
This week, we bring you a riff on Jason’s grandma’s stuffing. Now, normally this would have been made with breadcrumbs, but we’ve made it keto by subbing out cauliflower for the breadcrumbs.
It also brings all those earthy, delicious fall flavours with the addition of mushrooms, apples, onions and sage. This Keto Thanksgiving Stuffing will work with either a turkey or a chicken, with lots of leftovers. Because, c’mon, leftovers are maybe the best part of Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours!
~Jason, Susanna & Sido
Keto Thanksgiving Stuffing
- 250g organic, salted grass-fed butter
- 2 medium organic yellow onions, diced
- 1 whole organic cauliflower
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 2 chopped organic Macintosh apples
- 3 large free range eggs
- salt, pepper, ground sage to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 deg F
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and toss with a little melted butter and salt and pepper. Place on a sheet tray and roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt additional butter. Saute the chopped onions until translucent.
- Remove cauliflower from the oven and reduce oven temperature to 325 deg F
- Mix butter, onions, cauliflower, mushrooms, and apples in large mixing bowl (this makes enough to stuff the bird and fill a small casserole dish so you have plenty of leftovers 😊)
- Stir in sage, salt, and pepper
- Beat eggs separately then stir them into the large bowl
- Place the thawed bird in the roasting pan, rub with more butter, salt, pepper, and sage
- Stuff the cavity of the bird (turkey or chicken. We recommend Pasture to Plate for free range organic options)
- Roast. Depending on how big your bird is, will determine your cook time. Click here to calculate. Make sure your bird is at an internal temp of 165 degrees.
- Add a casserole dish of extra stuffing to the oven for the last 75-90 minutes of the roasting